Umbilical cord complications can lead to serious birth injuries, including cerebral palsy and brain damage. Children with umbilical cord birth injuries can face lifelong disabilities and staggering medical bills.
While some birth injuries cannot be prevented, other injuries result from negligent medical care. This is known as medical malpractice, and in these situations, the negligent healthcare providers may be legally liable for the birth injuries.
If your child suffered birth injuries because of problems with the umbilical cord, you may be entitled to financial compensation known as damages. A Chandler umbilical cord birth injury lawyer with the Birth Injury Lawyers Group can review your case to see if you should seek damages.
Call (800) 222-9529 today for a free consultation with a member of our team.
For a free legal consultation, call 1-800-222-9529
Medical Malpractice and Umbilical Cord Birth Injuries
The umbilical cord connects the fetus to the mother. It delivers oxygen and nutrition to the developing baby and removes waste. If the umbilical cord becomes compromised during pregnancy or birth, the fetus can lose its oxygen and nutrition supply.
Two of the most common umbilical cord complications include:
- Cord compression: in which the umbilical cord loops around the baby’s body or neck or catches between the mother’s pelvis and the baby’s head.
- Prolapsed cord: in which the umbilical cord comes out of the cervix before the baby, compressing the cord.
Some birth injuries can be prevented by addressing risk factors in the mother or with rapid, proper treatment of umbilical cord complications.
When doctors and other healthcare professionals do not properly address risk factors or fail to offer rapid treatment for umbilical cord complications, birth injuries can occur. This treatment is considered malpractice if the birth injuries directly result from the doctor’s or other healthcare professional’s failure to provide reasonable care.
Chandler Umbilical Cord Birth Injury Lawyer Near Me 1-800-222-9529
The Birth Injury Lawyers Group Can Help You Prove Medical Malpractice
In order to win your medical malpractice lawsuit, you will need to prove that a medical care provider’s negligence caused your child’s injuries. This typically involves proving four elements of negligence:
- Duty of care: the healthcare provider had an obligation to care for their patients in a manner that met accepted medical standards. This is usually established by the patient-provider relationship.
- Breach of duty: the healthcare provider failed to provide treatment that met the accepted standard. Proving this element may require testimony from a third-party medical expert.
- Causation: the patient’s injuries directly resulted from the negligent medical care.
- Damages: the patient’s injuries have a direct financial impact on them or their family.
A Chandler umbilical cord birth injury lawyer from the Birth Injury Lawyers Group can build your case with evidence of these elements of negligence.
If you suspect that your child’s birth injuries were caused by negligent medical care, reach out to the Birth Injury Lawyers Group today. Call (800) 222-9529 to speak with our team.
Estimating the Value of Damages from an Umbilical Cord Injury
Depending on the severity of your child’s birth injuries, your damages may be significant. You may face mounting medical bills, expensive home modifications to make it accessible for your child, or the need to leave your job to care for your child.
You may be entitled to financial compensation for the expenses you face now, for future medical bills, and for future lost wages if you cannot return to work. The Birth Injury Lawyers Group can help you understand what damages you can claim and collect evidence of their value. This evidence may include:
- Bills for doctor’s appointments, surgeries, and speech, occupational, or physical therapies
- Bills for construction to modify your home
- Past wage statements to estimate your current and future lost earnings
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How an Umbilical Cord Birth Injury Lawyer Can Help You
If your child suffers from a birth injury from an umbilical cord complication, you may feel overwhelmed and exhausted. Managing your child’s long-term care can be a full-time job that includes daily care, medical appointments, and multiple therapies. You may not have enough energy left to fight with insurance companies for the coverage your child needs.
An umbilical cord birth injury lawyer from our firm can help you with all legal aspects of your case, including dealing with insurance companies. Some of the ways we can help include:
- Handling all communication with the insurance provider
- Filing a medical malpractice insurance claim
- Gathering evidence to support your case
- Negotiating for a settlement with the insurance provider
- Filing a lawsuit on your behalf if settlement negotiations fail
The Statute of Limitations After an Umbilical Cord Birth Injury
While birth injuries can have a long-lasting effect, you only have a limited time to pursue damages from your child’s umbilical cord birth injuries.
Arizona Revised Statutes § 12-542 places a statute of limitations of two years on medical malpractice lawsuits in Arizona. However, this general deadline is extended by Arizona Revised Statutes § 12-502 for cases where the victim is a minor. This law may give birth injury malpractice victims until their 20th birthday to sue.
A Chandler umbilical cord birth injury lawyer from the Birth Injury Lawyers Group can help you understand the deadlines in your case and fight for compensation on your behalf.
If your child was injured during birth, do not delay. Call the Birth Injury Lawyers Group at (800) 222-9529 so we can get started on your case. A member of our team is standing by to provide you with a free case review, and we work on a contingency-fee basis with no payments due upfront. If you don’t win your case, you do not need to pay us attorney fees in this arrangement.