If you are looking for a lawyer to represent you after your child’s birth injury, the Birth Injury Lawyers Group can help. A Joliet umbilical cord birth injury lawyer can handle all the legal work, giving you more time to spend with your newborn.
Call (800) 222-9529 today for a free case assessment.
For a free legal consultation, call 1-800-222-9529
Qualifying for Compensation After an Umbilical Cord Birth Injury
Before you begin your lawsuit, you must check that the statute of limitations has not yet passed in your case. This is a law that gives accident victims a specific amount of time to seek monetary compensation for their accident-related injuries.
Statute of Limitations
The statute of limitations for medical malpractice cases can be found at 735 ILCS 5/13-212. This law provides potential plaintiffs with two rules for when they can begin a lawsuit. You must start your case:
- Less than two years from the date you discovered the malpractice, AND
- Less than four years from the date the malpractice occurred
If your case still falls within the statute of limitations, you are allowed to file a lawsuit against the liable party. To learn more about your rights, call the Birth Injury Lawyers Group at
Joliet Umbilical Cord Birth Injury Lawyer Near Me 1-800-222-9529
Damages You Can Seek in a Lawsuit
You may sue for the physical, mental, and financial distress that you and your child experienced due to the birth injury.
Financial distress, also called economic damages, can include items like:
- Medical costs: You may receive compensation if your child needed or will need treatment to deal specifically with the injury symptoms.
- Educational costs: You may be entitled to these damages if your child will need additional academic services, like speech therapy, to succeed in school.
- Loss of income: You may be compensated for lost income if you or your partner took time off work to give your child the extra care they needed.
Physical and mental distress, also called non-economic damages, can include items like:
- Pain and suffering: You may be compensated for pain and suffering if the injury caused or will continue to cause your child physical or psychological distress.
- Disability: If your child was diagnosed with a physical or mental disability caused by the birth injury, you may be compensated for its impact on both you and your child’s life.
- Diminished quality of life: If the injury symptoms will negatively affect your child for the rest of their life, you may also be compensated for these damages.
Consulting a Joliet Umbilical Cord Birth Injury Lawyer
A lawyer from the Birth Injury Lawyers Group can make your case easier to manage by taking responsibility for such critical legal jobs as:
- Laying out your options: Your lawyer will make sure you understand the pros and cons of your legal options so you can make informed decisions.
- Providing a neutral perspective: It is difficult to view things objectively when your child’s suffering is involved.
- Investigating: To strengthen your case, you will need to combine your testimony with documented evidence, such as medical records and expert testimony.
- Negotiating a fair settlement: Your lawyer knows how much your case is worth. They will do everything possible to get you that money in a pretrial settlement.
- Drawing up paperwork: If the insurance company agrees to pay, your lawyer will prepare and explain the paperwork before you sign.
- Going to court: If the insurance company does not agree to pay, your lawyer will prepare and present the strongest possible case at trial.
- Being available for you: Any time you have a question or do not understand an aspect of your case, call your lawyer. They will be more than happy to help.
Contact the Birth Injury Lawyers Group
The Birth Injury Lawyers Group understands that you are going through an unexpected and difficult time. Let us help you by assigning a Joliet umbilical cord birth injury lawyer to answer your questions, represent you at the negotiating table, and more. You can reach us at