Finding out that your infant suffered an injury during birth can be traumatic and devastating for any family. When that injury could lead to lifelong complications, it can be even more damaging to the child and their support system.
If you learned that your baby may have experienced brain ischemia or subsequent brain damage because of a negligent care provider, you have the right to seek compensation. Hiring a Joliet brain ischemia lawyer can help you get the legal support you need to do so, whether you plan to negotiate a settlement or seek a lawsuit.
The Birth Injury Lawyers Group can review your case for free today when you call (800) 222-9529.
For a free legal consultation, call 1-800-222-9529
Medical Malpractice Can Lead to Brain Ischemia and Resulting Injuries
Newborn brain ischemia, also known as neonatal stroke, refers to when an infant’s brain does not receive an adequate level of blood flow around the time of birth. Lack of blood flow for a significant time can cause brain damage, potentially resulting in impaired neurological development or death for the infant.
Studies have cited several possible causes for instances of brain ischemia, many of which are preventable or addressable with proper medical care. Some of these include medical issues the mother experiences during pregnancy, such as:
- Gestational diabetes
Other contributing factors can include prolonged time in the birth canal, birth defects, and preterm birth. While overseeing a pregnancy or birth, doctors and nurses must look out for signs of these risk factors or that a newborn is experiencing brain ischemia. Failure to respond appropriately with the aim of preventing or mitigating injuries can make a health care provider liable for medical malpractice.
Joliet Brain Ischemia Lawyer Near Me 1-800-222-9529
Recoverable Damages in a Birth Injury Case
When an infant suffers from brain damage after a neonatal stroke, it can potentially impact them for the rest of their life. Some babies may go on to develop neurological conditions such as epilepsy and cerebral palsy, which may require lifelong medications and other support.
Neonatal stroke can also be fatal. The Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism cites an annual mortality rate for these cases at around 3.49 in 100,000.
The damages of a birth injury like this can burden your child and your family financially and emotionally. When a medical professional caused or contributed to the injuries sustained, you could qualify to seek compensation through a medical malpractice case. The damages you may be able to recover include but may not be limited to:
- Medical expenses: Your child may require immediate treatment following an instance of brain ischemia to prevent further injuries. If brain damage occurs and leads to disabilities, they may require additional care throughout their life.
- Diminished quality of life: Injuries stemming from newborn brain ischemia can affect how the child grows and experiences the world, as well as their ability to achieve independence as an adult.
- Loss of income: You may miss out on income if you need to stay home from work to care for your child and attend doctor’s appointments regarding their injuries.
- Pain and suffering: Living with brain damage can cause your child physical and emotional distress that impacts their life.
The Birth Injury Lawyers Group Advocates for Victims of Medical Negligence
Mounting a medical malpractice case can take a further toll on your family. Rather than dedicating your own time and energy to building a claim or lawsuit, allow an attorney to handle this process on your behalf. The team at the Birth Injury Lawyers Group takes on cases involving brain ischemia and other birth injuries to help victims seek justice and compensation.
When you hire us to represent you, you gain access to multiple services that can help you in each stage of your lawsuit or claim. This includes:
- An investigation into the occurrence of brain ischemia, including the medical care received during the pregnancy and delivery
- Collection of expert testimony from medical professionals in the field
- Building your case using evidence, such as the mother’s and baby’s medical records
- Damage calculation, including your economic and non-economic damages
- Legal advice and guidance
- Communication with the liable party and their representatives
- Representation in settlement negotiations and in court
- Interpretation of statutes and handling of paperwork to ensure that your lawsuit, if you pursue one, is filed on time
With time to file a lawsuit limited by the statute of limitations on medical malpractice cases, it is important to get started as soon as we can. Do not hesitate to reach out when you are ready to discuss your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Hire a Joliet Brain Ischemia Lawyer to Represent You
You may qualify for damages if your infant suffered brain ischemia and related injuries. During your free consultation, you can speak with a representative about the possibility of collecting damages in a medical malpractice case. If you decide to hire us, we can begin looking into your case immediately and address any questions you have. To take advantage of your free case assessment, reach out now at (800) 222-9529.