Depending on its severity, brain damage can cause your child short-term pain or lifelong medical problems. Either way, you may qualify for compensatory damages, and a lawyer can help you seek them.
Call the Birth Injury Lawyers Group at (800) 222-9529 to learn more about how a Joliet brain damage birth injury lawyer can help you with your case. We can take your call any day at any time.
For a free legal consultation, call 1-800-222-9529
Your Child’s Birth Injury May Entitle You to Damages
In your legal research, you may have already come across the terms “economic damages” and “non-economic damages.” What do they mean, and how do they affect your case?
Economic damages include any and all monetary losses you suffered due to the birth injury. A few examples are listed below:
- Loss of earning capacity: You and/or your partner’s ability to work is hampered by the need to take care of your disabled child.
- Loss of employment: You and/or your partner resigned or were fired from your job due to your child’s injury or the fact that you took time off to tend to your child.
- Medical expenses: Your child needed life-saving emergency treatment, or they will need medical care for the rest of their life.
- Funeral expenses: Your child did not survive their injury, and you laid them to rest.
Non-economic damages include any and all physical, emotional, and mental losses you and your child suffered due to the birth injury. Examples include:
- Physical disability: The brain damage directly caused any condition that makes it more difficult for your child to control their movements.
- Intellectual disability: The brain damage directly caused any condition that affects your child’s ability to remember, learn, express themselves, and so on.
- Pain and suffering: The birth injury was painful for your child, and it will continue to cause them physical and emotional pain as they go through life.
- Loss of consortium: Your child passed away, so you were unable to develop a relationship with them as you planned.
It may be painful for you to reflect back on all of the ways your child’s birth injury has affected them. It is, unfortunately, an essential part of a lawsuit. A lawyer can provide a more impartial perspective as you compile your list of damages.
Joliet Brain Damage Birth Injury Lawyer Near Me 1-800-222-9529
The Statute of Limitations
According to 735 ILCS 5/ 13-212(a), your ability to recover damages like those listed above is time-sensitive. You must bring your medical malpractice case within two years of your child’s injury but no more than four years after it was discovered.
How Hiring a Joliet Brain Damage Birth Injury Lawyer Can Help You
In the weeks and months following your child’s birth, you want to be at home with your family, not talking to insurance companies or preparing for court. That is where the Birth Injury Lawyers Group comes in. We can complete difficult, time-consuming legal tasks such as:
- Gathering evidence: Your lawyer will use a combination of testimony and documentation to prove malpractice occurred.
- Calculating your case’s value: We can help you compose a list of all compensable injuries and tell you the maximum amount you can sue for.
- Communicating with others: Your attorney can speak with the liable party on your behalf, relaying messages between you.
- Confronting the insurance company: We will negotiate with the liable party’s insurance company for a favorable settlement on your behalf.
- Preparing all paperwork: For instance, if a settlement agreement is reached, we will draw up the forms for you to sign.
- Preparing a court case: If we cannot reach an appropriate settlement agreement, your lawyer will take the fight to court.
Finally, no matter how difficult or work-intensive your case turns out to be, we will always make time for you. Do not hesitate to call us with questions and concerns. Our top job is to make sure you understand what is happening and what your legal options are.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Medical Error Can Cause Brain Damage
You depend on your health care provider to take care of you (or your partner) and your child to the best of their ability. This includes:
- Informing you about the pros and cons of all proposed treatments
- Monitoring your/your partner’s vital signs throughout labor
- Monitoring your child’s vital signs throughout labor
- Acting on signs of trouble in a reasonable and timely manner
- Coordinating with your other health care providers as needed
If your doctor or health care facility failed in even one of these areas, your child could end up paying the price. Some types of brain damage may be mild and manageable, but others result in severe complications that require lifelong medical care.
Call a Lawyer for Help Today
At the Birth Injury Lawyers Group, we understand how painful it is when a birth injury mars the joy of your child’s birth. Let a Joliet brain damage birth injury lawyer take your legal burden off your shoulders. We can fight for your rights while you spend more time at home with your family. Call us today at (800) 222-9529 for a free case evaluation.