You might have a feeling that something is wrong with your child, but it can be frustrating to get doctors to take you seriously. What are the signs that they look for that mean something is serious so you can look out for them? Healio describes six symptoms that could be danger signs of infant brain damage.
The post focuses on problems related to the eyes and sensory development. Parents are much more likely to notice problems with the eyes since they see their children’s eyes more often. The signs to look for include:
- Abnormal pupils or pupil response
- Does not or cannot maintain eye contact for at least a few seconds
- Does not show effort in touching or reaching for interesting things
- Does not direct their eyes toward something stimulating, like your voice or a toy
- Only reacts when something is presented on one side.
- Can’t track a stimulus with their eyes.
Birth Injury Lawyer Near Me 1-800-222-9529
Doctors recommend that babies get eye exams sometime between 6-12 months old to check for these issues, but if you notice them earlier then bring them to the attention of a doctor. Be careful not to confuse signs of sleepiness or hunger with these symptoms. Test your baby when they are happy and full. The sooner you can catch a possible issue, the better.