According to the American Bar Association (ABA), medical malpractice occurs when a professional healthcare provider, such as a doctor, nurse, technician, or hospital worker commits negligence. This negligence is a failure to perform their duties according to their industry-standard which subsequently causes harm to their patients.
If your child was a victim of medical malpractice, you may be able to file a claim or lawsuit against the medical professionals or facility responsible for the delivery. Call the Birth Injury Lawyers Group today for a free case review at (800) 222-9529 and learn how our team can help you fight for compensation.
For a free legal consultation, call 1-800-222-9529
How a Lawyer Can Help You and Your Family
A Des Plaines brain damage birth injury lawyer can help you recover losses in a claim, but the amount of compensation you can pursue can depend on various factors. Claims for medical malpractice can vary from case to case as no two medical procedures are the same. Some factors that affect compensation include:
- The severity of the birth injury
- Whether the effects are temporary or permanent
- The number of medical bills that accumulate in treating the infant and mother
Costs We Can Help You Recover
In some cases, a baby recovering from a birth injury may have to be held in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), which can add thousands of dollars to the parents’ medical bill. If it is suspected that the birth injuries were caused due to medical malpractice, the following forms of compensation can be pursued in a court of law:
- Medical bills: Initial hospital bills can be incredibly high due to the rising cost of health care, and this is not including emergency treatment, such as surgery or blood transfusions. Prescription medications, treatment from specialists, and equipment (e.g., wheelchairs and modifications for the child’s home) may also be covered.
- Loss of income: Parents who are attending to their child may miss work and therefore lose out on wages they would have otherwise earned.
- Pain and suffering: This can be a traumatic time for both the child and the parents. Your child is entitled to compensation for the pain they are enduring from their injuries as well the discomfort they experience from their treatment and lifelong disabilities.
Des Plaines Brain Damage Birth Injury Lawyer Near Me 1-800-222-9529
Potential Causes of Birth Injuries that Can Signal Negligence
Birth injuries may be caused by improper use of operative vaginal delivery, a method of delivery that utilizes medical instruments, such as forceps and vacuum extractors.
Forceps are a metal clamp that is applied to a baby’s head to help aid in their journey through the vaginal canal. Some risks to the fetus that forceps pose include:
- Facial injuries due to the pressure of the forceps clamping down on the head
- Facial palsy (temporary weakness of the facial muscles)
- External eye trauma
- Skull fractures
- Intracranial bleeding
Vacuum-assisted vaginal delivery involves the implementation of a vacuum device to help ease the baby out while the mother pushes during a contraction. A vacuum-assisted delivery can cause:
- Scalp wounds
- Shoulder dystocia, a term referring to when a baby’s shoulder becomes stuck after the head has been delivered
- Intracranial bleeding
Birth injuries caused by these medical instruments are relatively rare, but they can still occur. Health care providers owe their patients and the general public a duty of care when treating them, and a Des Plaines brain damage birth injury lawyer can bring them to justice for medical malpractice. Call the Birth Injury Lawyers Group today for a free case review at (800) 222-9529.
Let a Lawyer Help You Get Justice for Your Baby’s Birth Injury
No family should have to suffer the grief of dealing with a birth injury. Birth injuries can have a significant impact on the way a child experiences life and can affect a child well into adulthood. Call the Birth Injury Lawyers Group today for a free case review at (800) 222-9529.