If your child suffered a birth injury, the joy and anticipation of childbirth can all too quickly turn to fear and anger. A Mesa hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyer from our team can help you to understand your legal rights and options thoroughly and fight for the monetary compensation your family may deserve.
For a free consultation with a member of our team, call the Birth Injury Lawyers Group at (800) 222-9529.
For a free legal consultation, call 1-800-222-9529
How to Qualify for Compensatory Damages
Per Arizona Revised Statutes (ARS) §12-542, medical malpractice victims typically must begin their lawsuit within two years of the event that caused their injury. However, per ARS §12-502, when the victim of medical malpractice is below 18 years of age, the deadline to sue may be extended to their 20th birthday.
First and foremost, however, you must be sure that the injury resulted from medical malpractice. You can support your case by collecting evidence from sources like:
- Your child’s medical records
- Relevant photos or video recordings
- Eyewitness testimony or photos
- Expert testimony
A lawyer from our firm can help you find the proof you need to get the money you may deserve. Contact the Birth Injury Lawyers Group at (800) 222-9529 at any time. A member of our team is waiting to assess your case and tell you more about what a Mesa hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyer can do for you.
Mesa Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy Lawyer Near Me 1-800-222-9529
Types of Damages You Can Claim
Once you know that you are eligible for monetary damages, you (with help from your lawyer) can create a list of all the reasons you may deserve compensation. These reasons may be economic and include such factors as:
- Loss of wages: Either you or your partner stayed home from work to care for your injured child.
- Loss of employment: Either you or your partner quit your job to stay home and care for your child.
- Medical expenses: Your child’s injury necessitated additional treatments or will require extra care in the future.
- Educational expenses: Your child has an intellectual disability, so you will need to pay for therapy, specially-trained tutors, and so on.
Your damages may also be non-economic—i.e., physical and emotional—and include things like:
- Physical disability: This may include conditions like cerebral palsy, epilepsy, or vision and hearing problems caused by the injury.
- Mental disability: This may include learning disabilities or any other condition that affects your child’s ability to understand the world or express themselves.
- Pain and suffering: Your child experienced or will experience unnecessary physical and emotional distress.
- Reduced quality of life: The injury robbed your child of the chance to live a healthy, independent life.
Once you have noted how the birth injury has affected your family, you will have to quantify each item. This means assigning a dollar value to each of the injuries and losses your family suffered. As discussed below, a lawyer from our team can help you with this and any other legal task.
Click to contact our birth injury lawyers today
Legal Representation Can Help You
Instead of taking on the liable party’s insurance company by yourself, consult the Birth Injury Lawyers Group. We will evaluate your case at no charge. We can also provide you with a lawyer to deal with:
- The liable party: Your lawyer can send them an initial notification about your lawsuit and serve as a middleman between you and them.
- The evidence: We know just where to look for evidence that will prove the liable party’s responsibility in your case and strengthen your compensation claim.
- Paperwork: A single missed deadline or an incorrect form may prompt a judge to throw out your case.
- The insurance company: Your lawyer may need to do some tough negotiating before the insurance company agrees to pay for what you are asking.
- The trial: If your case does go to trial, you can let your attorney prepare the exhibits and deliver oral arguments on your behalf.
In addition to these important tasks, your lawyer will keep in close touch with you. You can depend on receiving regular updates about your case, prompt answers to your questions, and compassionate advice about your legal options.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Do You Know if Your Doctor Was Negligent?
Doctors can prevent many HIE cases by taking the proper precautions (e.g., keeping a closer eye on your child’s vitals during birth) or acting quickly on warning signs (e.g., administering oxygen).
Unfortunately, doctors are not always as careful as they should be. Even a moment’s inattention or negligence could affect your child for life. If you ever have doubts or concerns about your child’s wellbeing, contact a doctor right away. Get a second opinion if you have to. It is better to be safe than sorry when it comes to your child’s health.
An Attorney Can Help You Fight for Compensation
You do not have to take on the insurance company alone. The Birth Injury Lawyers Group is proud to serve parents in and around the Mesa, Arizona area. To find out more, call us at (800) 222-9529. A Mesa hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyer from our firm can help you with every aspect of your lawsuit.
Call or text 1-800-222-9529
or complete a Free Case Evaluation form