Erb’s palsy is a type of brachial plexus injury that is known to cause limitations in the upper body ranging from full to partial paralysis of an arm. Erb’s palsy can occur due to preventable injuries during the birthing process. When hospital staff is responsible for causing this condition in an infant, they may be held liable in a court of law for the child’s injuries. They could owe your family compensation for treatments, recovery, pain and suffering, and more.
Here at the Birth Injury Lawyers Group, our attorneys work with families who have experienced Erb’s palsy and other types of birth injuries. We believe in holding doctors who harm newborns accountable for negligent behaviors.
Our Shreveport Erb’s palsy lawyers may be able to represent your family. You can call us for a free consultation on your case at (800) 222-9529. A member of our team can answer your questions and discuss your legal options. If you hire us to represent you, there will be no up-front fees, as our firm operates on a contingency fee basis.
For a free legal consultation with Shreveport Erb's Palsy lawyer, call 1-800-222-9529
Actionable Causes for Erb’s Palsy
Erb’s palsy can range from moderate to severe damage to the nerves in a child’s shoulder area. It can limit mobility or sensation in the corresponding arm or hand. While many newborns are able to make a full recovery from the condition with treatment, others may experience life-long effects.
There are many negligent missteps that can occur in a hospital room that may result in a child’s Erb’s palsy diagnosis. They include being too rough with the infant and ignoring important warning signs for a difficult birth. Because doctors are trained in the dangers or brachial plexus injuries during delivery, there is no excuse for these sorts of negligent acts.
Common acts of negligence by hospital staff that may be actionable in civil cases may include, but are not limited to:
- Using too much force when removing the baby from the womb
- Using forceps or other tools to facilitate birth, causing nerve damage in the process
- Failing to call for a Cesarean section even though the baby is too large for a natural birth, resulting in the baby being stuck in the birth canal
- Failing to stop the baby from being born feet-first, which can cause its shoulders to get stuck inside certain areas of the mother
- Neglecting to screen the mother for signs of a difficult pregnancy, or ignoring these signs and going through with a difficult birth instead of a safer alternative
No matter what caused your child’s Erb’s palsy to occur, the Shreveport Erb’s palsy lawyers at the Birth Injury Lawyers Group would like to hear from you. We may be able to research your case and determine who is liable for your child’s injuries.
Shreveport Erb's Palsy Lawyer Near Me 1-800-222-9529
Compensation in an Erb’s Palsy Case
By gathering the necessary evidence to prove negligence, we may be able to help you recover compensation for a variety of damages. These can include:
- The cost of any medical care deemed negligent
- Your child’s ongoing medical needs, including surgeries, rehabilitation, and mobility and transportation options
- Lost wages for parents who reduce work to care for their child
- Pain and suffering
Even if your doctor diagnoses a mild case of Erb’s palsy, your family could be eligible for a malpractice lawsuit. To discuss what compensations may be available in your child’s case, call the Birth Injury Lawyers Group today at (800) 222-9529 for your free consultation.
Click to contact our Shreveport Erb's Palsy lawyers today
Do Not Delay Your Medical Malpractice Lawsuit
Louisiana, like other states, has a statute of limitations on medical malpractice cases. This is a legal time limit on how long after an event you have to file a lawsuit. If that statute of limitations in your case expires before you take legal action, you could lose your right to sue no matter how strong your case is.
When you call the Birth Injury Lawyers Group for your free consultation, we can discuss what legal time limits pertain to your case. Even if you think the statute of limitations has expired, there could be special circumstances that extend your timeline to file a lawsuit.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Let a Shreveport Erb’s Palsy Lawyer Represent You
The Birth Injury Lawyers Group represents Shreveport families whose children were injured due to medical malpractice. When we take on your case, you can concentrate on your child’s wellbeing and recovery. Our services may include:
- Answering your questions, providing legal advice, and discussing potential outcomes throughout your case
- Handling all communications with the hospital, insurance companies, and lawyers on your behalf
- Managing legal deadlines and paperwork
- Gathering evidence of doctor liability, including hiring medical experts for testimony of malpractice if necessary
- Gathering evidence that depicts the full extent of your family’s losses
- Negotiating with insurance companies for your compensation
- Taking them to court if they are not willing to make you a fair settlement
When you take action against a negligent doctor, you are not just potentially securing compensation for your family — you may be helping prevent these injuries in other innocent children.
For a free consultation on your case, call the Birth Injury Lawyers Group today at (800) 222-9529. Our firm operates on a contingency fee basis with no up-front fees. Our payment comes as a percentage of your settlement or awards in court if and when your case wins.
Call or text 1-800-222-9529
or complete a Free Case Evaluation form