Erb’s palsy can limit a child’s ability to function normally. The physical and psychological impacts of this condition can be life-altering. While many children afflicted with Erb’s palsy make a recovery, some cases are permanent.
If your child’s Erb’s palsy was caused by a doctor’s negligence during delivery, you may be able to recover compensation in a medical malpractice case. This could award your family with compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
The Birth Injury Lawyers Group represents Metairie families in Erb’s palsy cases. We offer a free consultation for families who suspect that medical malpractice caused their child’s Erb’s palsy. To get started, call us at (800) 222-9529.
The Birth Injury Lawyers Group operates on a contingency fee basis, meaning you pay us nothing up-front for our representation. Our payment only comes out of your settlement or court awards if your medical malpractice case succeeds.
For a free legal consultation with Metairie Erb's Palsy lawyer, call 1-800-222-9529
Erb’s Palsy Injuries and Treatment
Erb’s palsy is a type of brachial plexus injury. It may involve a strain, a tear, or a separation of nerves in the brachial plexus cluster. This could result in the partial or full paralysis of the shoulder, arm, or fingers.
Symptoms of Erb’s palsy may include:
- Lack of control or paralysis in the affected arm or hand
- Loss of pain receptors, due to nerves being damaged
- Difficulty with grip
- Stunted growth in the affected region, which can make one arm grow longer than the other
- Psychological damage to the sufferer, who may grow to lack the confidence of other children their age
If you suspect that your newborn has Erb’s palsy, bring them to a doctor for an immediate evaluation. The sooner your child is diagnosed, the sooner they may be able to begin treatment.
Erb’s palsy treatments range from physical therapy to surgery. Although many children with Erb’s palsy are able to make a full recovery, some may experience symptoms for their entire lives.
Metairie Erb's Palsy Lawyer Near Me 1-800-222-9529
How Medical Malpractice Can Cause Erb’s Palsy
While some cases of Erb’s palsy are naturally occurring, other times this condition can be directly or indirectly caused by the negligence of the attending medical staff. When physicians fail to uphold their duty of care for their patients, they may be held liable in a court of law.
A doctor may be liable for causing a child’s Erb’s palsy injuries if:
- They failed to adequately screen the mother and infant for a difficult labor, which could have allowed for a safer delivery method such as a Cesarean section.
- Excessive force was applied to the infant during delivery.
- A birth assistance tool such as forceps or a vacuum extraction device was improperly used.
- Any other negligent act injured the baby.
If you suspect that a negligent doctor caused or contributed to your child’s Erb’s palsy after childbirth, contact the Birth Injury Lawyers Group. A Metairie Erb’s palsy lawyer may be able to investigate your case and hire a medical expert to testify that malpractice occurred in your childbirth.
For more information, call our firm at (800) 222-9529.
Click to contact our Metairie Erb's Palsy lawyers today
Compensation in an Erb’s Palsy Case
Even if the child makes a swift recovery from their Erb’s palsy diagnosis, it does not take away the fact that a medical profession caused your family physical and mental suffering and financial losses.
Accordingly, the compensation in your case may address the impacts this injury has had on you and your child’s lives. This compensation could include:
- A refund of any prenatal or delivery care deemed negligent
- Medical treatments meant to alleviate the symptoms of Erb’s palsy, including rehabilitation, surgeries, medications, and more
- Ongoing care, including treatment that may still be necessary years later
- Pain and suffering or mental anguish
- Lost wages for either parent that must stop working to care for the child
To learn more about what specific compensation may be available in your Metairie Erb’s palsy case and to find out how a Metairie Erb’s palsy lawyer can help, contact the Birth Injury Lawyers Group.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Finding an Erb’s Palsy Lawyer to Take Legal Action Against the Parties Responsible
The Birth Injury Lawyers Group welcomes your call. We can give you information about your legal options and how we may represent you. Should you choose to hire a Metairie Erb’s palsy lawyer on our team, you can do so on a contingency fee basis with no up-front cost.
Our representation may include:
- Answering your questions, discussing possible outcomes, and providing legal advice
- Identifying the liable party and producing evidence of doctor negligence
- Hiring a medical expert to testify that the care you received fell below a reasonable standard, if necessary
- Handling all communications with the insurance company, hospital, and other parties on your behalf
- Negotiating with the insurance company for a settlement offer
- Filing suit and taking the case to court if the insurance company is not willing to make a fair offer
When we handle your casework, you will get time away from the proceedings to care for your child. By filing a medical malpractice case, you do more than just possibly recover compensation for your family — you may help prevent other innocent children from becoming the future victims of doctor negligence, too.
Do not delay when it comes to taking legal action. Louisiana has a statute of limitations, or time limit, on medical malpractice cases. Call us as soon as possible to get information on what legal deadlines apply to your case.
To get started, call the Birth Injury Lawyers Group at (800) 222-9529. A no-obligation consultation with our Metairie team is free.