Unfortunately, a doctor’s negligence during childbirth can alter the course of your and your child’s life. If a medical professional negligently caused your child’s umbilical cord injury, we can help you hold them accountable.
Know your rights—call the client intake team at the Birth Injury Lawyers Group at
(800) 222-9529 for a free case review. They will explain more about how a Springfield umbilical cord birth injury lawyer from our firm can defend your rights.
Pursuing Damages After a Birth Injury
Per the Illinois Courts, you can sue for compensation for your child’s ongoing medical expenses or death (if your child did not survive their birth injury). However, your right to file a lawsuit and collect damages is finite.
Statute of Limitations in Illinois
According to 735 ILCS §13-212, when the victim of medical malpractice is a minor, they generally have eight years to file a lawsuit, but not longer than their 22nd birthday.
If you meet both of these criteria, then you are still entitled to pursue damages. You can now start thinking about what kinds of compensation your child’s injury may entitle you to.
You May Qualify for Two Types of Compensation
There is no “average” birth injury case, so no website can tell you how much money you can expect to recover. What we can do is provide you with a quick overview of the types of damages you may be entitled to.
For more specific information, call the Birth Injury Lawyers Group at (800) 222-9529.
In many lawsuits, plaintiffs ask for both economic and non-economic damages.
You may qualify for economic damages based on:
- The cost of medical treatment, if your child needed emergency treatment at birth or will need ongoing treatment related to the birth injury
- Funeral costs, if your child passed away following the birth injury
- Lost income, if you or another family member had to stay home and look after your child instead of going back to work
- Lost employment, if you or another family member quit their job to spend more time with your child
By contrast, you may qualify for non-economic damages based on:
- Physical pain and suffering, if the injury has caused and will continue to cause your child physical distress
- Emotional pain and suffering, if the injury will cause your child emotional distress
- Disability, if your child is physically or mentally disabled because of the injury
- Diminished quality of life, if your child will not be able to live independently or free of pain or health issues
A Springfield Umbilical Cord Birth Injury Lawyer Is Available to Help
Managing a lawsuit alone is a daunting prospect, especially for new parents. Let the Birth Injury Lawyers Group represent you in your fight for compensation.
We will do everything possible to secure your money, including:
- Work closely with you: Advice and guidance from your lawyer will give you the confidence you need to make the best possible legal decisions.
- Calculate your compensation: Your lawyer can help you figure out exactly how much you may qualify for in both economic and non-economic damages.
- Identify the liable parties: Sometimes, only one individual is responsible. Other times, it is more than one individual or a whole organization. A lawyer from our firm will investigate your case to make sure you sue the correct party or parties.
- Negotiate a settlement: We will meet with the insurance company on your behalf and argue for a settlement.
- Prepare paperwork: Whether it is the initial notification, a settlement agreement, or trial exhibits, your lawyer will take care of all paperwork.
- Represent you in court: If we cannot reach a settlement agreement, let us take your case to trial and continue fighting for your money.
Negligence in Birth Injuries
If your doctor or midwife fails to notice such issues in time, the resultant injuries can cause short-term distress, lifelong health issues, or death.
In all too many cases, umbilical cord injuries could have been prevented or mitigated with proper and timely treatment. If your doctor, midwife, hospital, or other healthcare provider was negligent in their treatment of your child, you might be entitled to compensatory damages. The Birth Injury Lawyers Group can help you prove the healthcare provider’s negligence and fight for a settlement on your behalf.
You Can Afford a Lawyer
Attorneys’ fees do not have to stand between you and the legal representation you deserve. Our lawyers will charge you nothing upfront, and you will only get a bill if and when you recover damages. If we cannot get compensation for you, then you do not have to compensate us.
Call an Attorney Today for Help
The Birth Injury Lawyers Group is proud to serve parents around the country, including in Springfield, Illinois. Call us at (800) 222-9529 to get help today. One of our Springfield umbilical cord birth injury lawyers can fight vigorously for your child’s rights.