Alcohol and babies do not mix. Babies are not able to process alcohol very well. They absorb it more quickly, and due to their small size and limited blood volume, it takes much less to cause alcohol poisoning. Even alcohol in breast milk can cause difficulties with sleep and development in babies.
A story in Babygaga illustrates the dangers in a horrific way. A one-month-old was killed in Beijing at a party after the child’s grandfather gave him a sip of alcohol.
The party was for the baby’s four-week anniversary. This is a traditional celebration in China to welcome a newborn. The grandfather was goaded by a friend to give the child some alcohol. He made a formal toast, saying he couldn’t take a drink until he gave the baby a sip.
After giving the sip, he handed the baby to his mother. By then the child was already having difficulty breathing. He was taken to a hospital and soon pronounced dead from alcohol poisoning.
The doctors berated the grandfather for his actions and the mother was distraught. She had been trying to have a baby for three years prior to conceiving a boy. Her in-laws allegedly treated her badly due to her inability to conceive before then. Now thanks to them, her child is dead.
Let this be a strong warning to everyone. Alcohol and babies do not mix!