When a mother gives birth there is a high risk for infections. Doctors do what they can to reduce the chances of this, but it’s not impossible to avoid. But certain bacterial infections are rare. One mother got a C-section and then an unpleasant surprise. Fox News reports.
A New York woman gave birth via C-section. Days later, she nearly died due to an infection by flesh-eating bacteria in the incision. She had a fever that reached to 102 and her stomach started to turn red and hot.
When she reached to to investigate, she found blisters across her abdomen. Her doctors offered to drain them, but the mother knew that this was no ordinary case and wanted to go to the hospital. It was later diagnosed as a necrotizing fasciitis and she had to undergo surgery to save her life.
One of the causes of an infection after a C-section is chorioamnionitis. This is an infection of the placenta or the fluid inside of it. This can be quite damaging to a baby’s health. Fortunately, the baby is doing well. But it took the mother two weeks to recover enough to be near her baby.
We hope that the mother makes a full recovery and that the hospital determines the cause of the infection so they can improve their pre-natal checks.