As a parent, you don’t want anything to happen to your child. Some things you can control, and some things you can’t. If a doctor’s negligence during childbirth meant that your child was injured, it could have long-lasting consequences for your child and yourself.
Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyers in California can help you get compensation. Read more about HIE and what an attorney can do to help your claim. When you’re ready to talk to a professional about your case, you can get a free initial consultation today.
For a free legal consultation, call 1-800-222-9529
Medical Malpractice Claims for HIE
When a birth injury happens, there’s always a chance it was an unavoidable accident. However, that’s often not the case. In many birth injury cases, a caregiver (whether it’s a doctor, nurse, midwife, hospital, or even an equipment manufacturer) had a level of fault in what happened.
When someone else is at fault for an injury, there’s often legal recourse for the victim or the victim’s family to collect compensation. That way, they don’t have to pay for the financial damages that someone else caused. However, to be eligible for compensation, the following has to be true:
- Your caregiver has to have owed you and your child a duty of care. This is the basic standard of responsibility that anyone in a specific position owes others. In your caregiver’s case, the duty of care is doing anything they can to protect your child and prevent birth injuries.
- Your caregiver has to have breached the duty of care. This can, technically, be on purpose, but more often than not it is due to negligence.
- The caregiver’s breach of duty must have caused your child’s injury.
- The breach of duty and your child’s injury must have caused both economic and non-economic damages.
To prove those, you need to have specific evidence and documentation that shows not only how the at-fault party caused your child’s HIE, but also why you deserve compensation for your child’s injury. The best way to do this is to have a birth injury lawyer working on your claim.
Birth Injury Lawyer Near Me 1-800-222-9529
What is Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy?
Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy is a condition in which a newborn’s oxygen and blood flow are cut off, causing damage to their brain. HIE can be very serious, causing lifelong disability or even death. The condition is treatable if caregivers take action immediately, but even in those situations, your child could be affected for the rest of your life.
Common causes of hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy that could be due to medical malpractice include:
- Poor cardiovascular health in the mother
- Fetal infection
- Issues with the placenta during birth
- Umbilical cord complications
- Low blood pressure in the mother
- Abnormal fetal position
- Premature birth
Many conditions that lead to HIE, even if they aren’t directly caused by malpractice, are avoidable with the right monitoring. If a doctor or nurse fails to call for a necessary C-section or other procedure, they could be held negligent.
The treatment for symptoms and consequences of HIE can be long-lasting and expensive. Your child could need physical therapy, speech therapy, or other rehabilitation. That can become pricy, especially if you have to miss work to take your child to sessions. A California HIE attorney can help you recover compensation.
How a Birth Injury Lawyer Can Help
When you hire a hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyer to handle your case, you’re recruiting someone who will take care of you and your family and make sure your child gets the best treatment possible. Our attorneys know experienced doctors and can worry about legal details so that you don’t have to.
Services that a birth injury lawyer can provide include:
- Investigating your case and finding out what—and who—caused your child’s HIE
- Gathering evidence like medical documents, witness statements, and more that prove who was responsible
- Calculating your damages to show exactly how much you’re owed for your ordeal
- Negotiating with the hospital and the insurance company so that you can get a favorable settlement
- Fighting for you in court in the rare case that the other party refuses to settle
On top of all that, your hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy lawyer will listen to your story and talk to you about your case. In fact, you can get a free initial consultation with a birth injury attorney. At your first meeting, your lawyer will tell you what your options are and how much compensation you may be eligible to receive.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Talk to a Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy Attorney in California
When your child has suffered a birth injury, the effects can ripple through your entire family. Missing extra work to care for your child, paying for their rehabilitation, and dealing with the stress that the situation causes can be extremely difficult.
Hiring a California hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy attorney from Birth Injury Law Group can help you get past this difficult time. Call us or contact us online for your FREE initial consultation. Our team is available to talk to you today.