Some of the risks that stem from infant resuscitation include:
- Intubation injuries: such as tracheae injuries or vocal cord damage
- Brain damage: where the lack of oxygen to the brain because of improper resuscitation leads to irreversible brain damage.
- Developmental delays: where the damage the brain suffers during a traumatic birthing process can cause the baby to be late to hit developmental milestones for his or her age, such as learning to crawl, walk, and talk.
- Cerebral palsy: where the baby’s brain suffers damage that leads to the onset of cerebral palsy, which, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), is the most frequently occurring motor disability in children in the United States.
If a doctor’s negligence injured your child during the resuscitation processes or caused the events that required resuscitation, they may be liable for your child’s resulting damages in a medical malpractice lawsuit.
For a free legal consultation, call 1-800-222-9529
Performing Resuscitation on a Newborn
The birth of a baby is a joyous occasion for the majority of parents. However, should the mother or baby suffer some sort of health problem during delivery, the feelings of joy can become worrisome quickly.
A baby may need aggressive resuscitation efforts after the delivery. This can be a frightening situation for the new parents, as doctors and nurses may have to whisk the baby away from them before they even have a chance to hold their newborn. Even worse, if something goes wrong during resuscitation, your baby could end up with life-altering injuries.
Doctors and other medical personnel must use reasonable care when attempting to resuscitate a baby. Through exams before the birth, the doctor may also be able to anticipate a difficult delivery, meaning the medical team should be ready with the equipment they may need if complications arise.
Why Babies May Need Resuscitation
If the baby’s lungs are not fully developed, the doctor may need to provide help. Or, if the baby was in the birth canal too long during delivery, he or she might have suffered some sort of injury that requires resuscitation.
Doctors may need to be monitoring the baby’s vital signs throughout the delivery, looking for signs of distress. If the baby’s heart rate becomes weak, or if the baby shows other problems through the monitoring of vital signs, the doctor may need to take steps to hurry the delivery along and to be prepared to treat the baby’s potential distress immediately after birth.
Birth Injury Lawyer Near Me 1-800-222-9529
Types of Infant Resuscitations
Medical personnel may help the baby to breathe on its own through gentle stimulation, such as rubbing the skin. If simple techniques do not work, the baby may need to be outfitted with a bag and mask to help them breathe.
Babies with significant respiratory needs may require advanced resuscitation techniques. This may include more invasive procedures, including intubation, chest compressions, and medications. Advanced resuscitation techniques may carry the highest level of risk for an infant. Doctors and nurses must do these procedures properly to avoid causing additional harm.
Click to contact our birth injury lawyers today
Medical Malpractice Can Cause Birth Injuries
If your child was injured by medical personnel during their resuscitation, you may want to investigate the treatment you received for medical malpractice.
Medical malpractice may occur when a doctor takes negligent actions that fall below a reasonable standard of care and injure a patient. In resuscitation cases, this can include negligence during the resuscitation process, or negligence that caused the need for the resuscitation in the first place. Examples of this may include:
- A doctor using excessive force or incorrectly administering resuscitations techniques in a way that injures the baby
- A doctor not screening or preparing for a complicated birth, causing the need for the baby to be resuscitated
- A doctor allowing the baby’s oxygen supply to be cut off during delivery
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
We Defend the Rights of Medical Malpractice Victims
If your infant is living with injuries that stemmed from their resuscitation, and you believe that doctor negligence was the cause, the Birth Injury Lawyers Group may be able to help you. We represent families nationwide in medical malpractice insurance claims and lawsuits. The recoverable damages in this type of case may include medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
For a free review of your case, contact the Birth Injury Lawyers Group at (800) 222-9529 today. We may be able to represent you on a contingency-fee-basis with no up-front payments required.
Call or text 1-800-222-9529
or complete a Free Case Evaluation form