When a child is born with Erb’s palsy, they may have a long road to recovery. While many cases of Erb’s palsy can be cured through means like surgery and rehabilitation, some patients may never fully recover due to the severity of the injury.
The unfortunate truth is that some instances of Erb’s palsy are preventable and can be the direct result of negligence by the hospital staff. From using excessive force during delivery to failing to take standard precautions to avoid a difficult birth process, doctor negligence can take many forms.
If a negligent doctor caused your child’s Erb’s palsy, your family may be entitled to compensation in a medical malpractice lawsuit. The Birth Injury Lawyers Group represents Indianapolis families in this type of action.
With an Indianapolis Erb’s palsy lawyer on your side, your family will be free to concentrate on your child’s wellbeing. To learn more about how we can fight to protect your rights, contact us at (800) 222-9529. Consultations calls are free, and our firm operates on a contingency fee basis with no up-front costs to our clients.
For a free legal consultation with Indianapolis Erb's Palsy lawyer, call 1-800-222-9529
Recognizing the Signs of Erb’s Palsy
Erb’s palsy is a type of brachial plexus injury that usually affects one arm of a child’s body. It can result in partial paralysis of the shoulder, arm, or hand in the affected region. Erb’s palsy can also interfere with sensations in the affected area.
You may not recognize Erb’s palsy symptoms immediately after birth. As they grow and develop, signs of an Erb’s palsy brachial plexus injury in newborns can include:
- A discrepancy in control or development between arms
- A lack of grip strength or hand movement
- A lack of movement in the arm
If you notice any of these symptoms in your child, contact a doctor for an evaluation immediately. The sooner Erb’s palsy is diagnosed, the sooner you may begin treatment and therapy procedures.
Indianapolis Erb's Palsy Lawyer Near Me 1-800-222-9529
Medical Malpractice Can Result in Erb’s Palsy
Erb’s palsy in infants can occur naturally, but some cases are caused by hospital staff not doing their part to protect the child during birth. Actionable cases of negligence can include, but are not limited to:
- The staff allowing the baby to exit the womb feet first, which can cause the infant’s shoulder to get caught on the sides of the mother’s body
- The staff not screening the mother for a challenging delivery and providing a safer alternative, such as a Caesarian section
- The baby’s head being pulled too hard
- The improper use of a birth assistance tool like forceps or a vacuum extraction device
No matter what caused your child’s Erb’s palsy, speaking with the Birth Injury Lawyers Group can help put things into a clearer perspective. If we represent your case, we may be able to hire medical experts to produce testimony that your doctor acted with negligence.
Call us at (800) 222-9529 to get started. A no-obligation consultation with our firm is completely free.
Click to contact our Indianapolis Erb's Palsy lawyers today
What Compensation May Be Available to Me
In a medical malpractice case, the victim may need to produce evidence of the financial impact of the event on them, either to use in negotiating with insurance companies or to present in court. What compensation you may receive will depend on the specifics of your case.
In general, an Erb’s palsy case may include compensation for:
- Pregnancy and delivery care deemed negligent
- Current and future costs of treatment for the child, including surgery, therapies, medications, and more
- Any special caretakers or mobility devices the child requires
- Lost wages for parents who miss work to care for their child
- Pain and suffering
Depending on the severity of your child’s Erb’s palsy and how many years of treatment they will require, this compensation could be quite high. It is an expense no family should have to pay on their own if the injuries were caused by a negligent doctor.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Do Not Lose Your Right to Recover Compensation
Indiana, like other states, has a statute of limitations for how long medical malpractice victims have to take legal action. If this time limit runs out before your file a lawsuit, you may not be able to recover compensation, even if you have strong evidence of medical malpractice.
Do not let a negligent doctor get off the hook for malpractice on a technicality like the statute of limitations. When you contact the Birth Injury Lawyers Group, we can discuss what time limits pertain to your right to sue. Contact us even if you think the statute of limitations has expired in your case, as there may be special circumstances that give you an extended window to file a medical malpractice lawsuit.
An Indianapolis Erb’s Palsy Lawyer Is Ready for Your Case
The lawyers at the Birth Injury Lawyers Group can handle your medical malpractice case while you dedicate your time to your family. Our services in your case may include:
- Providing answers, counsel, and possible outcomes to you throughout the case
- Gathering evidence in your defense
- Hiring medical experts to make statements in your defense
- Protecting your right to sue by acting before the statute of limitations expires
- Negotiating with insurance companies on your behalf
- Taking them to trial if they do not make you a fair offer
To get started, call us at (800) 222-9529. Initial consultations with an Indianapolis Erb’s palsy lawyer are free. The Birth Injury Lawyers Group operates on a contingency fee basis, which means you do not pay us unless you receive a settlement offer or ruling in court.