If your child suffered a birth-related injury that led to Erb’s palsy, you may be able to recover compensation for your medical bills, pain and suffering, and more.
A Brandon Erb’s palsy lawyer from the Birth Injury Lawyers Group may be able to help you seek damages if your child’s injuries were caused by mistakes or negligence on the part of delivery room doctors, nurses, or other caregivers.
Call the Birth Injury Lawyers Group at (800) 222-9529 for a free consultation on your case. We may be able to represent you on a contingency-fee basis with no up-front fees required for us to begin working for you.
For a free legal consultation with Brandon Erb's Palsy lawyer, call 1-800-222-9529
Causes of Erb’s Palsy
Erb’s palsy is a disorder that affects the shoulders, arms, wrists, and fingers. This condition can develop if a nerve cluster near the neck known as the brachial plexus sustains certain types of damage.
It is possible for Erb’s palsy to be caused by injuries that occur during childbirth. If a newborn is diagnosed with Erb’s palsy, it may be worth examining if the injuries were natural or if they were caused by doctor negligence.
In some cases, Erb’s palsy can occur naturally. For example, a large baby may be unable to pass through the uterus and may be squeezed enough along the way to sustain nerve damage in the neck. Injuries can also occur if the mother does not dilate enough for the baby to be delivered.
Such cases may be categorized as unpreventable, in which case it may be difficult to build a case for medical negligence or malpractice.
However, there are also ways in which Erb’s palsy can be the direct result of medical malpractice. This can occur if:
- Doctors fail to screen for a difficult birth and plan a safer alternative, such as a Caesarian section
- Excessive force is applied during to the baby during delivery
- A birth assistance tool such as forceps or a vacuum extraction device is improperly used
If you suspect that doctor negligence contributed to your child’s birth injury in any way, call the Birth Injury Lawyers Group at (800) 222-9529. We can discuss your case and your legal options during your free consultation.
Brandon Erb's Palsy Lawyer Near Me 1-800-222-9529
Erb’s Palsy Symptoms and Treatment
Once never damage occurs and Erb’s palsy develops, the child may exhibit certain symptoms, including:
- Difficulty moving the arm, wrist, hand, or fingers in certain ways
- A lack of sensation in the affected arm
- Weakness or paralysis in the affected arm
- Pain in certain parts of the affected arm
- Muscle loss in the shoulder or the affected arm
- Tingling in the hand or fingers
Treatments for Erb’s palsy can be expensive. Common treatments include physical therapy, occupational therapy, medication, the use of assistive devices such as braces or wheelchairs, and surgery for extreme cases of nerve damage.
These costs can add up quickly, especially for ongoing treatments that may be required for several months or years.
Click to contact our Brandon Erb's Palsy lawyers today
Additional Costs of Erb’s Palsy
There are many additional costs you may face when it comes to treating Erb’s palsy. These may include:
- Medical appointments to accurately diagnose your child’s condition
- Physical checkups to determine the extent of the symptoms your child exhibits
- Scans to pinpoint the location and type of damage or brachial plexus injury that your child has sustained
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or body braces to help your child cope with weakness and/or limited physical ability
- Medications, adjustments to the routines or schedules of caregivers, and round-the-clock monitoring, if needed
If you are able to prove that your child’s Erb’s palsy was caused by doctor negligence in a medical malpractice lawsuit, you may be able to recover these costs, along with other damages.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Working With the Birth Injury Lawyers Group on Your Case
Medical malpractice cases can be difficult to pursue, as they may require the victim to produce testimony from a medical expert that the level of care they received fell below a reasonable standard, and that a similarly trained medical professional would have taken different actions in the same situation.
If your child was diagnosed with Erb’s palsy, we are here to help. A Brandon Erb’s palsy lawyer from the Birth Injury Lawyers Group may be able to represent your case while you concentrate on your child’s health and wellbeing.
We may be able to take the following steps in your case:
- Investigate your treatment for medical malpractice
- Identify the liable party or parties in your case
- Gather evidence of their liability and the extent of your damages
- Conduct interviews with medical staff, key witnesses, and birth injury experts
- Handle all communications, deadlines, and paperwork in your case
- Negotiate with the responsible party’s insurance company for a settlement offer
- Take your case to trial if they are not willing to make a fair offer
Keep in mind that a statute of limitations applies to most birth injury cases. This is a legal deadline for much time you have to file a lawsuit. We recommend acting as soon as possible if you suspect that medical malpractice caused your child’s Erb’s palsy.
Call the Birth Injury Lawyers Group now at (800) 222-9529 for a free initial consultation and case evaluation. We can discuss what legal deadlines pertain to your case, as well as what options you may have for pursuing compensation in a medical malpractice case.
The Birth Injury Lawyers Group provides our services on a contingency-fee basis, so you pay nothing upfront when we represent you. We only receive compensation for our legal efforts if and when we successfully secure a damages payout or a settlement for you.