Most births go smoothly, but in cases where they do not, the results can be devastating. A lawyer may be able to help you sue the party responsible for your child’s injury and recover the compensation you need and deserve.
For a free legal consultation, call 1-800-222-9529
Your Family May Be Able to Pursue Damages
If your child suffered a birth injury, you have enough to worry about without also wondering how you will pay your bills or afford your child’s medical treatment. Suing the health care provider responsible for your child’s injury is one way of getting the money your family needs to make ends meet.
Economic vs. Non-Economic Damages
There are two types of compensation that you may qualify for: economic and non-economic. Economic damages are for those who suffered financial setbacks as a result of the birth injury. Such setbacks may have been caused by:
- Medical expenses: Your child’s injury required emergency treatment, or your child will need extra medical care for the rest of their life.
- Certain travel expenses: If your child’s doctor is far enough away, you may be reimbursed for the cost of gasoline and so on.
- Loss of earning capacity: You and/or your partner can no longer work as much because your child needs extra attention.
- Loss of employment: You or your partner have given up your job and devoted yourself to caring for your child full-time.
Unlike economic damages, which compensate you for the financial consequences of the injury, non-economic damages compensate you for the injury itself. This can include both the physical and psychological symptoms you and your child experienced, such as:
- Pain and suffering: The injury was physically traumatizing to your child.
- Scarring: Your child was left with permanent, even disfiguring scars because injury or medical treatments were needed to save their life or lessen the injury’s effects.
- Disability: Your child was left with permanent physical and/or intellectual disabilities because of their injury.
- Wrongful death: Your child passed away due to a birth injury, leaving you to cope with their unexpected, preventable death.
If you qualify for damages in Texas, you generally have two years to sue for them, according to Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code §74.251. In addition, your ability to collect damages may be affected by laws such as Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code §74.301, which puts a cap on how much you can collect in non-economic damages.
Frisco Birth Asphyxia Lawyer Near Me 1-800-222-9529
An Attorney Can Help You Get the Maximum Settlement
Legal representation can be a great help and comfort during this trying time. Instead of trying to handle a lawsuit by yourself, you can turn over all your legal responsibilities to a lawyer. Your lawyer will also make themselves available to answer your questions and provide clarification of complicated legal concepts.
Among the many services an attorney can provide you are:
- Investigating the malpractice: Your lawyer will go after and collect such evidence as expert testimony, medical records, and much more to build your case.
- Quantifying damages: Using your testimony and other forms of evidence, your lawyer can ensure you ask for the maximum possible amount of compensation.
- Handling all paperwork: You do not have to worry about selecting the correct forms, supplying the right information, or submitting paperwork on time.
- Communicating with others: If you do not want to talk to the liable party, you do not have to. Your lawyer will meet with them on your behalf and let you know if they make any settlement offers.
- Pursuing compensation: Not satisfied with the settlement offered by the liable party’s insurance company? Your lawyer will negotiate for more or bring your case to trial—whatever it takes.
- Guiding you throughout the process: With an attorney by your side, you can be sure that you are receiving honest, actionable advice on every aspect of your case.
Call Our Firm Today for Help
The Birth Injury Lawyers Group understands how devastating it is when birth injuries and medical incompetence darken a joyous event like childbirth. We can not only pursue the money you deserve but will also protect your rights by holding the at-fault party responsible for their actions. Contact us today to receive a free case review at (800) 222-9529.