In an earlier article, we talked about a bacterial outbreak in a Pennsylvania hospital that killed three premature infants and sickened five others. The source of the infection has been found. ABC 7 reported on the discovery.
The hospital revealed that the infection was coming from a process they use to prepare donor breast milk. The milk was safe, but the equipment used to measure and give it to babies was not. The hospital is now using single-use equipment to eliminate the danger.
Since making the change, no new infections have been reported. However, babies and mothers at risk will still be diverted to other hospitals until medical officials allow them to resume normal operations. The hospital also issued an apology to the affected families.
Birth Injury Lawyer Near Me 1-800-222-9529
However, that hasn’t stopped at least one family from filing a lawsuit against the hospital for the infection. Lawyers for that case say that there were earlier infections from the same bacteria where at least one baby died in the hospital’s NICU. They are investigating whether this was also due to the breast milk equipment.
If such a link can be found, it would be good evidence to prove that the hospital was negligent in the care of their equipment and caused the babies to become ill and die.