Most people know that you should not drink while you’re pregnant. Alcohol can cause fetal alcohol syndrome and life-long problems for the child. Sadly, in this case, a child in Texas died immediately after birth from alcohol poisoning. Fox 5 reports.
For a free legal consultation, call 1-800-222-9529
First responders found the baby on the second floor of a home, blue and with the umbilical cord still attached. She was not breathing. Despite heroic efforts, the child did not survive. According to investigators, the baby had a BAC of 0.234 when the infant was found. The child may have also fallen out of the mother and struck the ground.
Birth Injury Lawyer Near Me 1-800-222-9529
Police said that the mother admitted to consuming a liter of whiskey while she was 34 weeks pregnant with the child. That the mother had a history of drug dependency and child neglect issues and had a BAC of 0.21 when she was tested. This is nearly three times over the legal limit. Also, the police spoke to the woman about drinking while pregnant just 15 days before this incident.
They are considering contacting CPS about the mother’s two other children. She has been arrested on manslaughter charges.
This is a tragic case that could have been entirely prevented had the mother received help. Please, never drink alcohol while you’re pregnant. You’ll greatly improve the health of your unborn child.