A couple in London has sued a hospital for letting chorioamnionitis go untreated and ignoring the mother’s pleas to get a C-section. MEAWW.com reported on the tragic story.
Two years ago, young Sebastian died after just four days due to a fatal brain injury caused by an infection. The coroner in the investigation found that Kingston Hospital in South West London was at fault. The mother had developed an infection due to pre-labor treatments, then was left in labor for 32 hours. The child had to be delivered by forceps after his heart rate started dropping.
The investigation found that the baby had acute chorioamnionitis during the mother’s labor. This is an infection of the placenta and amniotic fluid and can cause severe brain damage, organ failure, and death if it is not treated. Furthermore, the investigation said that the hospital performed inadequate counseling followup after the tragedy, causing the couple much mental distress.
The infection was believed to be caused by a sweeping procedure done to widen the cervix. However, this procedure can cause bacteria on the cervix to go up into the womb and cause an infection. After excretions from the baby were found in the water of the mother, the mother asked for a C-section but was denied. She was denied again even after getting a fever and the baby’s heart rate started fluctuating.