According to Mayo Clinic, surgery to treat newborns with Bell’s Palsy is rarely the ideal treatment. In fact, a study published in the World Journal of Clinical Cases found that 70 percent of children who suffered from Bell’s palsy who were treated with oral steroids within three days recovered in less than three weeks.
Other common treatments for Bell’s palsy may include taking measures to protect the eye that cannot be closed, nutritional support, Botox injections, and physical therapy. The right treatment will depend on your child’s medical situation.
Common Causes of Bell’s Palsy in Newborns
- Facial paralysis, most often on one side of the face
- Inability to close one eye
- Uneven smile
- Watery eyes
- Difficulty eating
- Pain in the neck or face
- Twitching facial muscles
A few common causes of Bell’s palsy include exposure to viruses, such as herpes or flu, and trauma to the face, head, or neck. In newborns, common causes of Bell’s palsy include exposure to maternal viruses and the improper use of forceps during delivery.
To better understand the treatment options available for your child, it is recommended you seek guidance from a medical professional who has a full understanding of your child’s medical history.
If you believe your doctor or another medical professional has acted negligently, it is recommended you seek a second opinion, then contact a birth injury lawyer who can help you explore your legal options.
Birth Injury Lawsuits
For many parents, the birth of a child is an amazing experience. After months of waiting, you are finally able to hold your child in your arms. When a medical mistake mars the birth experience, causing your child pain and requiring medical treatment, you may be eligible to pursue a birth injury lawsuit.
Birth injury cases are a type of medical malpractice case. In order to pursue a legal claim, your birth injury lawyer will seek to show the medical provider failed to provide adequate treatment, which resulted in an injury, such as Bell’s palsy.
Navigating the birth injury lawsuit process is no easy task, particularly when your family is adjusting to the birth of a child. A birth injury lawyer is equipped to fight for your rights and recover the compensation your family deserves.
Services Provided by a Birth Injury Lawyer
Your birth injury lawyer can help you navigate the legal process of filing a birth injury claim. While your family is adjusting to the birth and healing, the lawyer may provide the following services:
- Gather medical reports and other evidence to begin building your Bell’s palsy birth injury claim
- Consult with medical experts to understand how most doctors would have reacted in similar medical situations
- Consider all the ways Bell’s palsy has impacted your family’s life to fully calculate the losses incurred
- Speak to lawyers and insurance companies on your behalf
- Ensure your claim is filed before your state’s statute of limitations expires
- Negotiate to reach a settlement for the damages your child and family suffered
Your birth injury lawyer should be a dedicated legal professional who understands the laws in your state and is willing to fight for your right to recover compensation.
Damages Available to Families Through Birth Injury Claims
In a birth injury claim, the details of the case can impact the final amount of compensation available. In most cases, children heal in a few weeks, while other newborns may face a lifetime of symptoms.
Depending on your situation, your birth injury lawyer may pursue:
- The cost of medical treatment for Bell’s palsy
- Additional hospital stays or testing due to Bell’s palsy
- The lost income parents or caregivers experienced due to the injury
- Pain and suffering
- Other miscellaneous costs associated with the injury, such as medical devices and medication
For Legal Assistance, Call the Birth Injury Lawyers Group Today
If your newborn suffers from Bell’s palsy, your family may be eligible to pursue a claim against the doctor who caused the injury which resulted in the condition. A birth injury lawyer can review your case and recommend the best path forward based on your unique situation.
To find a lawyer in your state, call the Birth Injury Lawyers Group today at (800) 222-9529.