Infants have not yet learned to prefer one side of the body over the other. If it appears that your infant’s body function is limited to one side or lacking in any of the limbs, it could be due to a more serious neurological or muscular birth injury.
Factors That Could Affect Your Infant’s Movement
Lack of body function on one side of your infant’s body is not normal and could be a clear symptom of a more serious disorder or an injury that happened before or at the time of birth. Some possible causes are:
- Brain Damage: Any brain damage can affect cognitive and physical ability.
- Cerebral Palsy: This birth injury can affect control over body movement. It can happen in the womb or during the birthing process.
- Brachial Plexus Injuries: The brachial plexus nerves in infants’ shoulders are vulnerable during birth. This can lead to numbness or an inability to lift the arm.
How the Statute of Limitations Could Impact Your Claim
Every state has its own statute of limitations, imposing limits on the amount of time you have to pursue damages in a case. States also have their own rules allowing you to toll, or pause, the statute of limitations for birth injury cases. A birth injury lawyer for infants favoring one side of their body in your state will be able to answer questions regarding any limitations on your lawsuit.
Potential Recoverable Damages in a Birth Injury Lawsuit
Every case is unique and we cannot estimate the damages that you could recover in your claim. If your attorney wins your case, however, the damages you could potentially recover include:
- Medical expenses, including doctors’ examinations, hospital stays, and physical therapy
- The cost of ongoing care
- Out-of-pocket expenses you have incurred
- Pain and suffering
Infant Favoring One Side of Their Body Lawsuits
If you believe your infant is favoring one side of their body because of an injury that occurred at birth or because of an undiagnosed disorder, you may be entitled to damages related to medical error. The Birth Injury Lawyers Group can help.
We will connect you with a birth injury lawyer for infants favoring one side of their body who handles birth injuries in your state and can evaluate your case and explain what legal options you have.
Here are a few specific ways your attorney will be able to help your claim:
- Navigate the process of filing a lawsuit on your behalf
- Establish liability and gather evidence to support the claim
- Work with medical experts who can help you establish a standard of care
- Prove the cost of past, ongoing, and future care for your infant as a result of the accident
- Calculate the cost of pain and suffering associated with your case
- Negotiate a settlement with the insurance company
- Represent you in court if a settlement cannot be reached
Let us help you find a birth injury lawyer for infants favoring one side of their body near you. Contact the Birth Injury Lawyers Group day or night at (800) 222-9529 or receive a call back by filling out the contact form.